Foot Canada Training Curriculum
Foot Canada Training is now offering the opportunity for Foot Care Nurse Educators, colleges and universities to purchase a license to access and use our Nursing Foot Care Curriculum for clinical courses and advanced skills workshops. By making our curriculum available, we aim to empower Foot Care Nurses (FCN) from across the country to consider becoming an Educator for their community. We also want to support some of our experienced Educator colleagues looking to have a standardized, peer-reviewed curriculum that meets best practice guidelines at their fingertips.
Ready to teach in your community?
Please read the information on this page in its entirety prior to completing the purchase request form.
Who is eligible
This license is available for purchase to the education providers below.
1. Accredited Colleges and Universities
2. Foot Care Nurse Educators with a current and non-restricted Nursing Registration/License from a Canadian territory or province, having competed the Online Foot Care Nurse Theory course (FCN Theory) *2017 or later, as well as the following Foot Canada Training courses:
3. Foot Care Nurse Educators with a current and non-restricted Nursing Registration/License from a Canadian territory or province, having competed the Online Foot Care Nurse Theory course (FCN Theory) *2017 or later, as well as one of the following education requirements:
- Bachelor of Education
- OR Adult Education Course (95hrs or longer)
Note: Did you know that experienced Foot Care Nurses can complete the Online Foot Care Nurse Theory course at the discounted tuition rate of $250.00 + tax? Please visit our Financial Aid page for details.
What are we offering?
We are offering a 3 year renewable license for Foot Care Nurse Educators, colleges and universities to independently access and use our curriculum for the following courses and workshops.
Onsite Clinical Foot Care Nurse Course (6 days/43 + hours)
FCN (Clinical) provides in-person clinical skills development and mentorship.
Clinical Refresher Course
The FCN Clinical Refresher course is intended for experienced Foot Care Nurses who wish to update their knowledge and skills. This course is being developed and the curriculum will be made available in the coming year.
Advanced Nursing Foot Care Workshops
The Foot Canada Training Curriculum will also provide Educators with the lesson plans and materials for several Advanced Skills Workshops in the coming year. Workshops being developed include:
- Infection Prevention & Control
- Ankle Brachial Pressure Index (ABPI)
- Podiatric Instrument Skills
- Diabetic Foot Care
- Wound Care
- Private Practice
- OTC and Custom Orthotics
Some benefits of purchasing the Foot Canada Training Curriculum include:
- Education providers will be independent of Foot Canada Training, providing courses and training according to their own schedules. No monthly fees, no student quotas, no minimum class sizes. The Foot Canada Training Curriculum will include class size, course length, and tuition suggestions.
- Foot Canada Training will not oversee the delivery of clinical courses and workshops. There are no reporting requirements to Foot Canada Training once the curriculum is purchased.
- Education providers can use this license to teach at any site of their choosing.
- The curriculum is provided as a guideline and is designed to be used to teach nurses in Canada. Education providers may modify components of the different courses or modules to better reflect their requirements.
- Access to Foot Canada Training’s curriculum will only be granted to Foot Care Nurse Educators and post-secondary institutions with a Foot Canada Training license.
- The license is for the exclusive use of the Educator, college or university which has purchased it. The license is non-transferable.
- Curriculum and supporting materials available through online secure portal 24/7.
- The curriculum for FCN Clinical course and FCN Clinical Refresher course is based on the peer-reviewed Art & Science of Foot Care: A Clinical Resource for Nurses in Canada textbook, which is currently used by 38 education providers across Canada.
- The Canadian Association of Foot Care Nurses (CAFCN) National Competencies for Advanced Nursing Foot Care in Canada are used as Clinical Performance Standards in the FCN Clinical course and Clinical Refresher course curriculum.
- The curriculum for the 6 day/43+ hour hands-on clinical course was developed as a Part 2 to the Foot Care Nurse Theory course (online 11 week/110 hours). Foot Canada Training will continue to offer the Online Foot Care Nurse Theory course and invites all education providers to use this course as a student prerequisite for both the Foot Care Nurse Clinical course and Foot Care Nurse Clinical Refresher course.
Reliable and Current
- As best practice guidelines and accreditation criteria continue to change during this period of rapid acceleration in the field of nursing foot care, Foot Canada Training will continue to provide annual updates to its curriculum and apply for credible and relevant course approval processes as they become available. Educators will be able to advertise that they are delivering the best, most up-to-date curriculum at all times.
- This curriculum was developed by Cindy Lazenby, with several years of FCN Educator piloting and peer-review, as well as health care agency and education consultant feedback. Cindy is the lead author of the Art and Science of Foot Care: A Clinical Resource for Nurses in Canada and has an extensive history of providing nursing foot care education and advocating for improvements in nursing foot care in Canada. Cindy was the founding Chair of the CAFCN and continues to be a contributing member to this day. Since 1993, Cindy and her associates have trained over 4000 Foot Care Nurses across the country. Please visit Cindy's detailed profile page for additional information on her experience and training.
- Licensed education providers will have access and rights to use to the Foot Canada Training Clinical Curriculum, which includes administrative resources, full lesson plans, assessment tools and teaching materials for the Foot Care Nurse Clinical course, the Foot Care Nurse Clinical Refresher course, as well as Advanced Skills Workshops.
National Advertising Platform and Referral Opportunity
- A map of all Educator locations and a list of licensed education providers will be provided on our website, including the link to the education provider’s website and contact details, making it easy for prospective students to find a licensed education provider teaching in their area.
- All agencies contacting Foot Canada Training to inquire about hiring an Educator to teach on-site will be referred to the list and map of education providers on our website to find Educator teaching in their area. These agencies will be invited to contact local Educators directly to discuss potential contract opportunities.
- Educators may also be contacted by Foot Canada Training with offers to be hired to provide workshops, training and speaking engagements at events and conferences throughout the year.
All education providers with a license to access and use Foot Canada Training's Clinical Curriculum will be provided access on the following dates.
- Foot Care Nurse Clinical Course Curriculum - Available Now
- Foot Care Nurse Clinical Refresher Course Curriculum - December 31, 2019 or sooner
- Advanced Foot Care Nurse Skill Workshops - December 31, 2019 or sooner
Did you know that the 3 year license cost is less than the revenue from your first 3 students?
This license is available at the introductory price of $5,000.00 + tax (total for 3 years) and is renewable for $500/year after the initial term of the license has expired. Educators who have completed the Foot Canada Training courses below are eligible for a 50% discount:
- Foot Care Nurse Theory course *2017 or later
- Foot Care Nurse Preceptor course
- Foot Care Nurse Educator course
This price is available for a limited time only. Prices are set to increase on May 1, 2020.
Note that some regulatory bodies have rules and regulations in place specific to what qualifications are required teach nursing foot care, what designation of nurses that Educator may teach and what curriculum can be used. Please contact your province or territory's nursing regulatory bodies for more information before purchasing this license.
Still have questions, please contact us for more information!