Printer Friendly FCN Refresher Course Outline
Inspiring Excellence in Nursing Education
Total Hours: 28
The Foot Care Nurse (FCN) Clinical Refresher course is designed for experienced Foot Care Nurses (RN’s, NP’s, RPN’s & LPN’s) who wish to challenge and update their current knowledge and skills in advanced and diabetic nursing foot care. The curriculum was developed by Foot Canada Training and is based on Part 2 (Clinical) of the FCN course. This course follows Best Practice Guidelines and evidence-based practice and uses the CAFCN’s National Competencies for Advanced Nursing Foot Care in Canada (2017) as Exit Competencies.
The FCN Clinical Refresher course consists of online pre-course exercises followed by an in-person clinical mentorship and evaluation component. It is administered by Foot Canada Training in Kingston and by select education partners across Canada. Each location uses the same standardized peer-reviewed education guidelines and this FCN Clinical Refresher Course Outline. Please visit the FCN Clinical Refresher course page of the Foot Canada Training website for a list of course locations.
Experienced Foot Care Nurses or FCN Educators can apply to the FCN Clinical Refresher course at any time after having started Part 1 of the Foot Care Nurse course (online). For more information about registration, please refer to the FCN Clinical Refresher Registration section at the bottom of this Course Outline.
- Registration Deadline - Applicants must start the FCN Clinical Refresher course within 12 months of having successfully completed Foot Canada Training’s FCN Part 1 with a minimum grade of 85%. Exceptions to the 12 month rule may be allowed in extenuating circumstances. Applicants are to contact their Educator to discuss their unique circumstances and for more detail.
- Nursing Registration - Applicants must hold a current non-restricted Nursing Registration/Licence (temporary or full) from the territory or province in which they will be taking the course.
- Insurance - Applicants must carry and show proof of at least $2 million personal protective insurance (malpractice insurance).
- CAFCN Membership - Applicants are required to be a current member of the Canadian Association of Foot Care Nurses (CAFCN) and must email an electronic copy of their valid CAFCN membership card and/or membership purchase receipt showing current registration to firstname.lastname@example.org on the same day their FCN Refresher Course Application is submitted. The email subject line must contain the last and first name of the applicant and be formulated as follows: LAST, FIRST - CAFCN Membership.
- Professional Reference - Applicants are required to have practiced as a nurse for the last 2-5 years AND have a minimum of 750 nursing foot care practice hours within this timeframe. Applicants must have an employer or foot care health professional complete and submit an Applicant Reference form to validate that the applicant has met this prerequisite.
Students meeting the minimum passing grade requirement will be provided with a Certificate of Completion from Foot Canada Training.
Passing Grade: Students achieving a grade of 85% or higher are considered to have met the Exit Competencies for the FCN Refresher course at a proficient level. Marking distribution is as follows:
1. Attendance (10%)
2. Participation & Exercises (10%)
3. Final Test (10%)
4. Clinical Skills (70%)
Attendance: 10% of the final mark is allotted to attendance. Students that attend the entire day will be given the full 10%. Students will lose 5% from their final mark for each 10 minutes missed.
A student may be removed from the course at the discretion of the Lead Educator if the student's behaviour is deemed unsafe or unethical. Permission to re-enter the course will be discussed by the Lead Educator with the student, as appropriate.
Interpretation of Final Grades
Final Grade 85-100% (Pass)
- Competent - Meets expectations at a proficient level for Exit Competencies.
Final Grade 0-84% (Fail)
- Not Competent - Does not meet Exit Competencies effectively or consistently.
- Recommendation - The student is recommended to apply for the entire FCN Part 2 (Clinical) course for a more support and a more comprehensive mentorship and clinical experience.
The CAFCN’s National Competencies for Advanced Nursing Foot Care in Canada (2017) are used as Exit Competencies for the FCN Refresher course with the exception of business and practice related competencies, which are outside the scope of this course and will not be evaluated. To receive a passing mark, students will be expected to demonstrate all Exit Competencies at a proficient level.
This course emphasizes professional accountability through resourceful and self-directed learning. Exit Competencies to be evaluated consist of the minimum set of skills and knowledge required to competently practise as a Foot Care Nurse. Skills and knowledge will be evaluated by the student, their peers and the Educator.
Evaluation will consist of summative methods and utilize self-evaluation with the use of pre and post-tests and reflective practice.
Example of a Clinical Refresher Lesson Plan (28 hrs)
Pre-Course Exercises (~20 hours): Students are expected to complete assigned pre-course exercises to prepare for the in-person clinical mentorship and evaluation component of this course. Pre-course exercises include enrichment exercises, a review of assessment and evaluation forms, as well as required completion of the IPAC Core Competency Course and Reprocessing in Health Care Settings Course. Both courses are free and offered online. Students will be required to bring proof of completion to the in-person clinical mentorship and evaluation component of this course.
Clinical Refresher (8 hours): The in-person clinical mentorship and evaluation component of this course is facilitated by a Foot Care Nurse Educator in a nursing lab or foot care clinical setting, where students will be expected to demonstrate advanced nursing foot care skills and required to complete risk assessments, treatment, develop individualized treatment plans, referrals and health education with volunteer clients.
Experienced Foot Care Nurses or FCN Educators can apply to the FCN Clinical Refresher course at any time after having started FCN Part 1. Current FCN Part 1 students who meet the remainder of the prerequisites will receive a conditional acceptance letter for the FCN Clinical Refresher course, allowing them to complete the registration process.
We strongly encourage all interested students to apply as early as possible, as there are limited spaces available. Each course requires a minimum number of students and runs on a first come, first served basis.
Please visit the FCN Clinical Refresher page of the Foot Canada Training website for a list of course locations and location-specific Policies and Procedures Manuals. These manuals provide the following details for your location of choice.
- Course Dates and Registration Deadlines
- Contact Information
- Education Team Biographies
- Registration Requirements and Process
- Tuition Refund, Course Cancellation and Waitlist Policy
- Instruments and Supplies
- Privacy and Confidentiality Standards
- Dress Code
- Unique Facility-Specific Policies and Procedures
Students must read the instructions in the Policies and Procedures Manual for their location of choice, for details on how to register. As part of the registration process, students are to contact their Educator to request location-specific documents and forms that must be reviewed prior to registration. Once reviewed, students must list the name of these forms/documents below, complete the section at the bottom of the page and email a scan or clear copy of this page to their course location.
Name of location-specific form/document reviewed Date document last updated
1. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
2. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
3. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
4. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
5. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
6. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
7. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
8. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
9. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
10. _______________________________________________________________________ ______________________
In signing this document, I confirm that I have read this FCN Clinical Refresher Course Outline, reviewed the Policies and Procedures Manual for my location of choice and read all additional location-specific forms/documents listed above.
___________________________________ ___________________________________ ____________________________________
Name Signature Date