FOOT CARE NURSE CLINICAL REFRESHER COURSE
Policies and Procedures Manual - Kingston, ON
- Course Outline
- Dates & Registration Deadlines
- Contact Information
- Education Team Profile
- Refund and Course Cancellation Policy
- Supporting Documents, Instruments & Supplies
- Privacy & Confidentiality Standards
- Dress Code
- Policies & Procedures Unique to Facility
The curriculum for this FCN Clinical Refresher course was developed by Foot Canada Training and is based on Part 2 (Clinical) of the FCN course. This course is in its first year, it is currently only available in Kingston. We expect our education partners in Thunder Bay, Ottawa and Windsor will also be hosting this course shortly. New locations may be added if sufficient requests are received from that community and an experienced Educator is available to teach in that area. Each of our partner location uses the same standardized peer-reviewed education guidelines and FCN Clinical Refresher Course Outline.
Wednesday October 17, 2018 (early bird tuition deadline: August 1st, 2018 at 12am EST)
*Tuition received after the early bird deadline is an additional $150 + tax
For all inquiries, please complete our Contact Us form. Alternatively, you may also contact us by emailing our Operations Management Consultant and Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 613-217-FOOT (3668). We endeavor to respond to all queries within 1-3 business days.
Kingston Community Health Center (KCHC), 263 Weller Ave, Kingston, ON.
Goal: Foster links between foot care professionals and assist in the development of a strong and knowledgeable foot care community.
Mission: Provide accessible, up to date and sustainable foot care nurse training courses that recognize provincial and national guidelines and standards of nursing care.
Values: Recognize that a dedicated, co-operative team of foot care nurse educators from across Canada can drive change through partnerships and by working together in order to inspire innovation in foot care nurse education.
Cindy Lazenby (Lead Educator) - Cindy Lazenby is the Owner and Director of Foot Canada Training. She is also the Lead Educator for Part 1 of the Foot Care Nurse (FCN) course, as well as Part 2 of the FCN course in Kingston. Since 1993, Cindy and her associates have trained over 4000 nurses across the country. Her expertise to design and deliver customized foot care courses has been sought out by a wide range of organizations including: community colleges, universities and government departments. She is passionate about education and committed to using this as a tool to support informed, effective, and consistent practices for nursing foot care in Canada. For more details on Cindy’s experience and education, please visit her profile page.
Minimum and maximum participants requirements
- Minimum 1 students
- Maximum 3 students
We are building an interest list of prospective students for the current and future FCN Clinical Refresher courses in Kingston and with our partner locations in Thunder Bay, Ottawa and Windsor. If wanting to take this course, please add your name to our interest list to be contacted when registration opens for an FCN Clinical Refresher course in your area.
How much is tuition?
- 2018 Early Bird Tuition: $565.00 ($500.00 + HST $65.00)
- Tuition received after the early bird deadline is an additional $150 + tax.
What is included in the tuition?
- 1 days of clinical
- A certificate of completion on successfully meeting minimum requirements of the course
What is NOT included in the tuition
- Instruments & supplies
- Costs for accommodation & travel to and from clinical location.
- Parking (if any)
- Requests outside of normal course activities or outside of educational, technical, and administrative support schedules or activities as per the course outline (such as requests for remedial assignments, course transcripts, third party correspondence, letters, etc.)
What are the payment methods?
- Interac E-transfer
- Money Order - There is an additional $52.50 fee (tax incl.) for money order payments due to extra processing involved. Please contact us for mailing details.
- Direct Deposit may be available if your employer is paying your tuition. Please notify us to receive further instructions if this is your employer's preferred payment option.
- We do NOT accept credit cards.
Should you wish to withdraw, note that tuition received is non-refundable as activities and expenses were made on your behalf from the date of receipt.
Student unable to attend as planned due to extenuating circumstances, may be able to defer to the next available Kingston FCN Clinical Refresher on a standby basis, subject to a re-entry fee and approval from Foot Canada Training's Director. Students who are on standby are not guaranteed a space in the course. Students on standby will be contacted shortly before the FCN Clinical Refresher start date, should a space be available.
Applicants currently registered in FCN Part 1 and meeting all other course prerequisites will be accepted to this course on the conditional basis that they complete FCN Part 1 with a minimum grade of 85%. If the minimum grade requirement is not achieved for FCN Part 1, applicants will have a choice to receive a refund for the FCN Clinical Refresher or given the option to defer their tuition to the next available Kingston FCN Clinical Refresher.
If Foot Canada Training cancels the course due to low enrollment or any other unexpected reason, students will be informed and will receive a full refund.
Students are expected to arrive with the following:
- CPIC - Hard copy of a stamped CPIC (known as a police security clearance certificate).
- IPAC Core Competency Course and Reprocessing in Health Care Settings Course - Certificates of completion.
- Insurance - Hard copy or electronic copy of at least $2 million personal protective insurance (malpractice insurance).
- Nursing Registration - Printed or online 'receipt' of showing current non-restricted Nursing Registration with the CNO.
- ID - Hard copy government issued photo ID.
- Printed Copies - documents, certificates, forms, exercises and handouts that are listed in the Pre-Course Exercises.
- Office Supplies - listed in the FCN Part 2 Pre-Course Exercises.
- Equipment and Supplies - Students must bring the following:
- a 'podiatric rotary instrument' that is designed for use on human skin (not hardware or industrial brands).
- 2 set of sterile single-use disposable instruments (nipper, black's file, foot file, scalpel, bur)
- 2 set of isolation gowns, masks, pairs of gloves, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, moisturizers, monofilament, treatment area pads, wound care supplies.
- an infrared thermometer that is designed for use on human skin (not hardware brand)
- a mirror, goniometer, eye protection & a tuning fork.
If you do not have the above items, you are expected to purchase a complete or partial Student Kit (~$600). Items have been pre-selected and approved to be purchased through Quality FootCare Products, which provides a discounted student rate and free shipping. To receive the discounted price, students must identify that they are taking Foot Canada Training's FCN Clinical Refresher course. A list of registered student names is provided to this supplier to confirm their eligibility for the discount.
- Course Textbook - Lazenby, Cindy. LM. (2017) Art & Science of Foot Care: A Clinical Resource for Nurses in Canada.
- Food & Drink – Students are responsible for their own food and drinks.
Students will be required to sign a privacy/confidentiality form and follow the privacy and confidentiality standards provided by the location on arrival to clinical.
- A name tag will be provided to the student and is to be worn at all times.
- Scrubs/uniforms, closed toe and heel shoes and hair up off shoulders and face.
- Bring your smile! You will have lots of fun practicing your existing skills and possibly learning new skills.
Last Revised: March 6, 2018