What is a pedorthist?
Information obtained from: http://www.standyourground.ca/
What is a Canadian Certified Pedorthist?
Canadian Certified Pedorthists C Ped (C) are trained in the assessment of lower limb anatomy and biomechanics. C Ped (C) specialize in the modification, function and fabrication of custom made orthotics, as well as custom shoe fitting and modifications. C Ped (C) offer a wide range of services including:
- evaluation of walking patterns (gait assessment)
- education on footwear selection and fitting
- custom made orthosis fabrication and fitting
- off the shelf orthosis fitting
- footwear modification to accommodate for foot disorders or dysfunction
C Ped (C) can assist in:
- improvement of balance
- accommodation of circulatory, congenital and neurological diseases
- biomechanical control
- weight and pressure redistribution
- alignment of lower limbs
- alleviation of pain in lower limbs
C Ped (C) are unique from other foot orthosis specialists because they do not prescribe their services. They work together with a number of health care professionals in order to provide a high level of patient care. This eliminate a conflict of interest between the prescriber and provider aswell as allowing the patient to choose where they will receive the treatment recommended by their doctor.
C Ped (C) undergo extensive training starting with an undergraduate degree involving courses in anatomy, biology, physical and gait assessment. Upon successful completion pedorthic students spend 1-2 years completing a number of post graduate courses as well as over 4000 hours of practical experience.